Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Bangkok

Finally i made it to another country and kicked off a much needed holiday/journey. After a midnight-140km/hr taxi ride to 'Big John's backpacker' (authentic Thai accomodation), i settled into my new life of living out of a backpack. Surprisingly i fell quickly into a somewhat crowded sleep with my 8 other room-mates, and awoke bright and early to a balmy 32 degree bangkok morning.

First stop was the Indian consulate, where my fears of disaster were put to rest as I was assured I would be issued with a visa next week for my sub-continent travels. A relief to say the least.

After that initial hurdle, I continued my walk through the streets of the city, and racked up somewhere around 10-12 kms for the day easily. Even with multiple bus and tuk-tuk trips, I really had no idea where I was going so the result was a day of 'didn't I see that half an hour ago?' tyil I found a useful map.

The highlight of the day was definately the hour-long english lesson I gave to 3 female police officers who insisted on buying me morning tea and learning of life as a tall Australian man.

No comments: